Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Goodbye dignity, hello motherhood- part 2

I was fortunate to receive good medical care after delivering my daughter, with a great doctor and kind, attentive nurses. Of course, they regularly checked my vitals and how I was feeling. However, there was one thing I wasn't quite prepared for them to check. Obviously, I expected them to take a little peek down there to check my stiches now and then, so I was prepared when that happened. But one day, I'm chilling in my room, minding my own business when the nurse came in to check on me. She took my blood pressure and pulse, checked the swelling in my hands and feet, asked what my pain level was, you know, the usual. As she's chatting with me she's lowering the bed and I'm thinking, "This is unusual...". She keeps chatting and begins to roll me on my side away from her and moving my hospital gown. At some point in all this I vaugely remembering hearing her murmur, "Ok dear, let's check for hemorroids real quick..". It didn't register. Check for what? Check for-- HELLO!! Did she just look at what I think she looked at?

Oh. My. Gosh.

Seriously, why does no one warn you about this stuff?

I felt so violated.

No comments:

Post a Comment